What Is Mobile Marketing?
First, a quick definition: Mobile marketing is the art of marketing your business to appeal to mobile device users. When done right, mobile marketing provides customers or potential customers using smartphones with personalized, time and location sensitive information so that they can get what they need exactly when they need it, even if they're on the go.
I would tell you that mobile is the future of marketing, but really the era of mobile has already arrived. If you're not implementing some kind of mobile marketing strategy, you're already trailing behind!
How Does Mobile Marketing Work?
Mobile marketing consists of ads that appear on mobile smartphones, tablets, or other mobile devices. Mobile marketing ad formats, customization, and styles can vary, as many social media platforms, websites, and mobile apps offer their own unique and tailored mobile ad options.
Why You Need a Mobile Marketing Strategy
Your business needs a mobile marketing strategy for the same reason that you need a computer and wi-fi access – this is the age in which we live! Walk around any major city and you’ll find more than just a few folks with faces glued to their smartphone screens. According to recent reports, 65% of user's internet time is spent on mobile devices, which means simply ignoring the rise of mobile just isn’t an option.
Some other interesting mobile marketing statistics:
- 80% of mobile device time is spent on apps, with game apps eating up the largest percent of app time
- People browse 70% more web pages on tablets than smartphones
- Retail conversion rates are 2.2% on tablets, considerably higher than 0.7% on smartphones, but traditional PC conversion rates are still highest at 3.3%
- Mobile searches have increased 175% year over year in 2016.
- Mobile surpassed desktop searches in 2015
Mobile is here to stay, and if forecasts are correct, it will soon by eclipsing desktop usage. If you don’t have a mobile marketing strategy yet, it’s time to get going!